So, I’m giving into my procrastination, if only to give my slumped shoulders a break.
Here’s a short list of some of the things that I do instead of editing my novel:
1) Studying, tearing, and biting my nails – I spend all day using my fingers to type and yet when I come home to edit my novel, they suddenly become interesting. “When did I get that hang nail?” nom, nom, nom. “Why do my fingers hurt?”
2) Playing candy crush – I hate this game, honestly. And yet, I keep crawling back to fulfill some kind of deranged mind-numbing addiction. Why? Why am I still stuck on level 125? Don’t judge, I’ve only been playing since….August? <Save me> :p
3) Buying books on amazon – This really isn’t wasteful because reading can count as skill development. Ha! Also, I like to troll Amazon for amusingly titled romance novels or cover art. 🙂
4) Buying running shoes on amazon – Well, this can count toward writing too. Really! I’ve written my best scenes while running. Although, it’s somewhat difficult to edit while running (especially if you labor through running like I do).
5) Getting pulled into a TV drama, comedy, or nonsense – Oh glowing box that gives me entertainment, why do I watch you even when there’s nothing on? Well, because my mind is numb from reading my own rambling prose. Upside: Sherlock last night was fabulous! Benedict, you are lovely. Hmm, maybe I can buy fangirl stuff on Amazon?
6) Randomly searching Etsy – Don’t do this (do it!), it will kill so much time! My favorite search term – victorian. But this counts as research too, because at some point, I’m sure I’ll write a historical romance. 🙂
7) Stressing over my word choice – oh wait, this is the one thing that actually does count as editing. So yay, maybe I am actually making progress. 🙂
Good luck, all you fellow struggling editors!